Follow Me In My Determination To Change

I thought if I shared my journey I would be more likely to succeed.

Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Operation

Instructions said be at the hospital for 6.30am, nothing to eat after midnight. So there I was at 6.15 outside the hospital very nervous. Inside were already 2 other people and by 6.25 all 5 patients for the day were ready and waiting.


I was very disappointed to find out that I was actually last on the list. No real reason just not being very patient. The doctor came to speak to me and explained that 2 of the operations were what they call 'restructuring' or a revision to previous surgery. My procedure has only been around for about 3 years and previously it was sometimes necessary to have followup operations.


About 11 o'clock a nurse came to tell me that there had been a complication with the first op and they were still in theatre so my op was likely to be late afternoon. I tweeted 'Your doctor would like to apologise for the delay in your procedure which is due to operational issues with the previous patient.', I was bored but not too worried. About 3.30 they told me there was a change in plan, I was going 4th and would be next down. Then the nerves started. I was upset for whoever was meant to be 4th apparently they were bumped in my favour. I don't know for definite but the general consensus was that I was paying for the op and she may have been an NHS patient. I do feel really sorry for her but I would have been furious if after all the preparation and cost I had been made to wait.


They came to get me just before 4 I think, and down I went to anesthetics, the anesthetist I had was more jolly than I saw before and he did put me at ease, then as quick as anything I was out.


I woke up just an hour later, apparently the operation was very straight forward and very fast. A success.

No comments:

Post a Comment