Follow Me In My Determination To Change

I thought if I shared my journey I would be more likely to succeed.

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Don't Read the Gutter Press

When you decide to do something, you are suddenly aware of it far more around you. So now I have decided to have this operation I see evidence of it everywhere. As I tell friends they all know someone who has had some sort of weight lose surgery, but this week there appears to be a conspiracy. It has been headlined in the press and not for the right reasons.


The story is that the NHS is wasting money on surgery. I think it is miss reported and if you read the article in full the doctors say that the cost is much less than treating the obesity issues later in life. It also says that the rise in numbers could be because there is more knowledge and understanding of the procedures. But whatever they say and whatever you believe, this is not an easy option, and I am paying for it.

When I went to see the surgeon he talked through several options, which I talked about in an earlier post. i have chosen probably the newest procedure but the one my surgeon, who is a pioneer in this field has had the most success with and believes is best for me.

NHS guidelines say you need to have a BMI of over 35 or over 30 if health already affected. I meet that criteria and did not have to 'gain' weight to be included which is what the article suggests is happening. But being accepted for surgery is not the final hurdle, the surgery has risks, not least the standard risks of anesthetic etc. You have a strict diet to follow for 2 weeks before to ensure they can actual perform the procedure, you have to shrink your liver. Then for 6 weeks you reintroduce food slowly, and then comes the exercise, if you don't do that you can end up a lighter body with an awful saggy body.

So please don't tell me this is the easy way out. It will be hard and I want support not be told I am influenced by celebrities who have done this, or simply looking for an easy way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment